- olive oil for frying
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup coconut milk, canned
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 jar pesto (I used Jamie Oliver’s, you could use any or make your own)
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 250g spelt pasta
- 500g chicken tenderloins, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan over high heat, fry off the onion and garlic in some olive oil until soft and fragrant.
- Add the diced chicken to the pan and turn the heat down to a medium heat, cook for a few minutes then add the coconut milk, stock and pesto and stir through (make sure you add this whilst the chicken is still under cooked, otherwise you will over cook the chicken).
- Remove the pan with the chicken from the heat and let sit while you cook the pasta, the chicken will continue to cook during this time, add the nutritional yeast now and stir through.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the pesto chicken, stir over a medium heat to assure the chicken is cooked and the dish is warmed through, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as is or with a sprinkle of parmesan and cracked pepper, enjoy!
NOTES – to make this dish vegetarian or vegan, omit the chicken.