- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 300g spelt spaghetti or brown rice penne (I use San Remo)
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 big handfuls baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 large handful fresh basil roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large deep pan over medium to high heat, add the garlic and onion and fry for a few minutes until soft and fragrant. (A wide and deep pan works best for this dish).
2. Pour in the tinned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, reducing the heat a little.
3. Turn the heat back up and add the coconut milk and vegetable stock, place the lid on and bring the liquid to a boil.
4. Once the liquid is boiling, add the pasta and keep the lid off. Stir occasionally until the pasta is cooked and the liquid has thickened. The liquid will thicken as the pasta cooks. This will take longer than normal for pasta, allow about 20-30 minutes.
5. When the pasta is almost cooked add the spinach, basil and nutritional yeast and stir through.
6. Serve and enjoy!