- 3-4 tbsp olive oil for cooking
- 1 cup uncooked white basmati rice
- 1 lime
- 4 large cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ cup peanuts
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 160g snowpeas chopped in half
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 large chillies, chopped
- handful coriander to dress
- 4 shallots, chopped to dress
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil to serve
Cook the rice according to the instructions, I like to undercook just a little so it doesn’t go mushy when mixing with the other ingredients.
In a large pan over high heat, add the olive oil and onion, saute until soft and fragrant, add the garlic, ginger, snow peas and carrots and cook until the vegetables are tender but not soft and mushy. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
In the same pan, add some more olive oil, the curry leaves, mustard seeds, peanuts, fresh chillies and chilli flakes and stir until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add the rice and the remaining spices to the pan and mix well to coat the rice in the spices completely.
Add in the vegetables and stir through until warm. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot with coriander, shallots, a drizzle of olive oil and the juice of a lime.