- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup almonds, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped and stalks removed
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (currants or sultanas would also work)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ lemon (juice)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Cook rice according to the instructions and set aside or place in the fridge to cool.
2. Place the chopped nuts in a frypan over medium to high heat and dry fry for about 5 minutes or until they start to brown slightly. Continue to stir and watch them otherwise they may burn.
3. Remove the frypan from the heat, add all the maple syrup to the nuts and stir through to combine. Set aside the pan and allow the nuts to cool and dry. Once the nuts are dry break them apart with a wooden spoon if they are clumped together.
4. Once the rice and the nuts have cooled add them to a salad bowl along with the red onion, parsley and cranberries. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
5. Dress the rice salad with the lemon juice, olive oil and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper.
6. Serve with whatever you like and enjoy!
Rice salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days and is a great addition to plenty of meals.
This salad is famous in our household, we have it with all sorts of dinners and take it to any lunches or BBQs we go to, it is definitely a crowd pleaser. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.