- 300g firm tofu, pressed
- 100g button mushrooms
- 100g baby spinach
- 50g edamame beans
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 4 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp chilli sauce
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- sesame seeds and shallots to garnish
- pickled radish (optional)
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- Dice the tofu into small cubes as per the photo, place the cubes between two sheets of paper towel and press out the liquid, discard the paper towel. Place the tofu in a bowl with the tamari, chilli sauce and sesame oil (bowl ingredients), place in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the tofu to absorb the marinade (do for longer if you have the time).
- Cook the rice now and prepare the remaining ingredients, slice the veg and set aside ready to assemble. Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients well in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat a few table spoons of oil up in a fry pan, add the tofu carefully with a spoon to the hot pan (if you tip all the sauce in straight away it will burn and splash so try and save the sauce to coat at the end). Fry the tofu until dark golden on the edges, once cooked pour over the remaining marinade (set aside but keep in the warm pan).
- Add a dash of oil and the mushrooms to a fry pan and cook until browned, throw in the baby spinach at the end and wilt.
- Assemble the bowl, start with the rice on the bottom and place the remaining elements on top, finishing with the tofu and dressing with the sauce, sesame seeds and shallots.
This recipe has been adapted from lazycatkitchen.com